There are a lot of construction jobs in Detroit, and not enough city residents to fill them. Our free Earn + Learn program is part…
- YouthBuild 18-24 years old (Construction Trades)
- Truck Driving (CDLA)
- Skilled Trades (Electrical/Heating and Cooling)
- Information Technology/Call Center
- Retail/Customer Service
- Bank Teller/Help Desk
In addition to this training, Earn + Learn also provides:
- Complete intake, assessment and screening so that you are ready to succeed
- Staff support for your engagement through active case management
- Work readiness, math, reading, computer skills, and GED preparation
- Supports you may need to finish training and begin employment, including transportation, clothing, and tools
- Stipends during training contingent on attendance and participation
- Vocational training for in-demand jobs that match your abilities and interests
- Incentives to encourage employers to create work opportunities
- On-going follow-up beyond job placement, including job clubs, one-on-one on-the-job coaching and mentoring, problem solving, and ongoing supports
- Chances to connect with community resources such as Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Michigan Department of Human Services, Community-Based Organizations, Faith-Based Organizations
- Co-enrollment in the Centers for Working Families to help you access benefits and financial coaching services
- Opportunities to give us feedback to help us continuously improve the program
A minority male 18-24 years
A formerly incarcerated adult
A chronically unemployed adult
- Be an American citizen or national; or lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, refugee, asylee, or parolee; or any other immigrant that is authorized by the Attorney General to work in the US
- Be registered with Selective Service (if the applicant is male)
- Be WIOA (Workforce Investment Act) eligible for selected trainings
- Pass a drug test
- Test above a sixth-grade level in math and reading
- I am willing to make changes to have the life I want.
- I am motivated by a clear structure, expectations, deadlines and having to report on my progress.
- Despite the challenges I’ve had in my past, I want to learn new skills and believe I can create a brighter future.
- I want to improve my financial situation over the next 1 – 3 years.
- I’d like someone to help me focus, challenge me, and hold me accountable to my commitments and goals.
- I realize that my success depends on my willingness to take action and persist through the challenges.
To enroll in Earn + Learn:
Earn + Learn is open to low-income Detroiters and residents of Highland Park and Hamtramck, as well as veterans.
If you are interested in one of our Earn + Learn training opportunities, please fill out the online interest form and we will get back to you quickly. You may also contact:
Jordan Rhines (Intake Specialist)
Southwest Economics Solutions
2835 Bagley, Suite 800 (2nd Floor)
Detroit, Michigan 48216