About 400 volunteers participated in Neighborhood Beautification activities this year. The volunteers worked in teams at 15 sites – installing flower beds and community gardens, weeding and mulching, and clearing overgrown brush and debris.
The work sites this year were:
- Avancemos Thrive by Five center
- Bagley Gardens
- Beard Thrive by Five center
- Boyer Playfield
- Cabrini Clinic
- Housing Resource Center
- Hubbard Farms Community Garden
- Jackson Ave. and 32nd St. lot (48210)
- Matrix Theatre
- Our Detroit
- People’s (Family Treat) Park
- Piquette Square for Veterans
- Southwest Cornerstone (48217)
- Stanton Park
- Third Precinct
All the sites, except for Piquette Square, were beautified on Saturday, June 6 – designated as Neighborhood Beautification Day in southwest Detroit this year. The entire effort is part of National NeighborWorks® America Week, in which more than 200 organizations across the country put on events to improve the physical appearance of their communities.
This was the ninth consecutive year for the annual event. Once again, it was truly a collaborative effort of organizations, businesses, community groups and individuals committed to community service and the continuing revitalization of southwest Detroit.
- JP Morgan Chase
- Quicken Loans
- The Home Depot
- Detroit Farm and Garden
- Armando’s Mexican Restaurant
- Bridging Communities
- Carson Neighbors
- Casey Fence Company
- Detroit Southwest Pride
- DMD Cement
- Ford Resource and Engagement Center
- Gift of Life Michigan
- Jermor Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
- Keep Detroit Beautiful/City of Detroit
- Matrix Theatre Company
- O’Brien Construction
- Seaholm High School
- Shelter Design Studio
- Southwest Detroit Business Association
- Society for Water Consumption
- Springdale Woodmere Block Club
- Taqueria Mi Pueblo
- United Parcel Service
- Urban Neighborhood Initiatives (UNI)
- Wayne State University Swim
- West Construction
We thank everyone who participated in Neighborhood Beautification Day 2014. Your generosity of time, energy and resources is what makes this event such an inspirational and rewarding experience. We hope to see you all next year!
See the Facebook photo essay: Neighborhood Beautification Day celebrates southwest Detroit!