A community-wide assessment of mental health needs put together by the Southwest Solutions’ BasicNeeds team shows the major issues and challenges that should be addressed for persons living with mental illness so they can become better integrated into the community.
The BasicNeeds team shared the results of the needs assessment at a community meeting in late April attended by 35 people with a personal and/or professional interest in mental health treatment. The assessment was prepared over a seven-month listening period that began last October. It identified ten themes for further consideration:
- Accessing Community
- Strengthening Differences
- Sharing Knowledge
- Increasing Access
- Lacking Collaboration
- Bridging the Transition
- Providing Opportunities
- Increasing Community Inclusion
- Expressing Vulnerabilities
- Championing Peers
At the community “Share Out,” attendees reviewed, prioritized, and strategized around these ten themes to start identifying concrete next steps to address priority needs and remove barriers for individuals living with mental illness in southwest Detroit. The goal is to continue to grow a coalition of individuals interested in building on this effort.
For a detailed look at the ten themes, click here.
The BasicNeeds Model is a strategy for consumer-driven community development that has achieved outstanding outcomes in 12 countries. Southwest Solutions’ BasicNeeds pilot project in Detroit is the first of its kind in the United States and is funded by the Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority.
The BasicNeeds team plans to hold another community meeting on the needs assessment on July 14. To attend or learn more, please email Tyler Moreno or call her at 313.297.1362.
Many organizations contributed to the community needs assessment through interviews, focus groups, and other ways. The organizations include:
- Alternatives for Girls
- Chadsey Condon Community Organization
- City of Detroit District 6
- Constituents’ Voice (DWMHA)
- Covenant Community Care
- Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority
- Escuela Avencemos
- Ford Resource and Engagement Center
- Henry Ford Health Systems
- Go-Getters Drop In Center
- Matrix Theatre
- Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Recovery, Education, Advocacy, & Leadership Michigan (Real MI)
- Southwest Counseling Solutions
- Southwest Economic Solutions
- Southwest Housing Solutions
- Trinity-St Mark’s United Church of Christ
- University of Detroit Mercy, McAuley School of Nursing
- Urban Neighborhood Initiatives (UNI)
Thank you for your time and support.